Selkirk Baptist Church meets in two buildings in Selkirk in the Scottish Borders. Our main morning services are usually held at Philiphaugh Community School, and all other services can be found in the town centre at Connections. Directions to both are available by following the links provided.
Our ministry spans all ages and the Lord has given us a wonderful part to play in the local community, bringing members into contact with old and young though church services, social events, care home visits and youth work in the church and in local schools. Weekly and monthly activities are evidence of the energy and love we have for Christ, and for all that seek truth, comfort, strength or encouragement.
Selkirk Baptist Church was established in 1880 with just 19 members. These included James Brown, a local blacksmith, who served as the church’s pastor until his death in 1912. A church building was erected near the centre of town at the top of The Valley and served as the main meeting place for many years. This, sadly, fell into disrepair and all that remains today is a vacant plot because the old building had to be knocked down.
A major change came in 1986 when SBC began meeting in Philiphaugh Community School. This has served us well and continues to enable us to welcome Christians and seekers from far and wide. Continuing fellowship has enriched us as the church has adapted to accommodate growth and changes over the years.
In 2013, around 30 members of SBC separated as part of a church plant to form Hope Church at Tweedbank. As the Lord has blessed them in planting a new church, He continues to bless us by bringing in others. It’s been a time of rebuilding to fill the void that was naturally created, but what an exciting time in the church’s history!